Thursday, March 4, 2010

My Skincare Regimen

To give you a little background, I have oily acne-prone skin (which started to manifest as early as my freshman year in high school = when I was 13). And yes, I still do get the occasional bumps especially before my period starts. It is a chronic disease for me with remissions and exacerbations (LOL).

I've been visiting dermatologists practically my entire adolescent life! I believe I've tried 3 but kept on coming back to Dr. Judy Evangelista even if her clinic is miles away from my home. Well yes I am satisfied with the results but somehow those pesky cystic pimples keep on coming back (mainly because of GENETIC MAKEUP, stress and hormonal imbalance --- in my case that is). I really have to stress genetic makeup because both my parents suffered from acne during their days. So yeah, a big share of the blame goes to them. Haha! My oldest brother also suffered from major acne. On the other hand, my other elder brother was more fortunate and only suffered from acne for a few years during his teens.

So after all these years, I've grown sick and tired of dealing with pimples, enduring painful acne procedures, and going back and forth to my dermatologist here in Pampanga (while all the while I was attending college in Manila). I really don't care about them that much anymore. And thankfully, they've decided to take the backseat and spare my face from their routine beating.

Here are some majorly stupid theories on this heavenly phenomenon:
(1) Well they probably just got fed up of popping up my face.
(2) My face isn't that conducive anymore for acne growth as it was back when I was a teen (ok this theory is really gross! haha!)

Whatever the real reason is, I have now accepted whatever I have on my face --- oily skin, uber large and visible pores, post-acne discolorations and some minor bumps all in. I just stick to my skincare routine and pray that they finally finally rest their case.

So just like any normal person, I cleanse, tone, and moisturize my face every single day (morning and evening) of every single week of every single year that I have so far been breathing since (LOL).

In addition, I apply sunblock after moisturizing in the morning. I do not reapply throughout the day because... I just don't (haha!). I exfoliate using a mild facial scrub once a week (this is ONCE a week not ONE DAY in a week --- because one day would mean exfoliating twice a week, one in the evening and one in the morning). Why am I being so technical about this? Haha! I also apply anti-acne gel (Adapalene) to my acute cystic pimples just to dry them up a bit faster.

Oh well, I am also planning to add a once-a-week facial mask application to my routine. I am hoping to try Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque which I believe is available at Healthy Options. Another thing I would like to try is a post-acne mark lightening/fading cream. Although I don't have any idea which product to get.

Here are the products that I use as of the moment:
1. Teranex Bar Soap - I divide it into 3 equal parts to make it last longer (can last me up to 3 months).


2. Clean and Clear Toner - any Clean and Clear toner variant works well for me. Before this, I was using the regular one (blue liquid in clear bottle).


3. Olay Total Effects Moisturizer (Blemish prone/oily) - I love it for its salicylic acid (may be a bit drying for certain areas of my face tough).


4. Nivea Refreshing Fluid Protect SPF 30 - does not dry to a matte finish. Not very ideal of oily skinned folks. Will be replacing it as soon as I can.

(photo from kikay.exchange.ph)

5. Differin (Adapalene) Gel - works better than Benzoyl Peroxide (for me at least)


6. Clean and Clear Facial Scrub - I was too lazy to take a picture of my tube so I just got this from the net. It's not the exact variant that I use by the way.


Update: Instead of the Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque, I purchased a Black Charcoal Peel-Off Mask from Saizen.

1 comment:

  1. do u have Regimen 4 pimple marks..thankthanks

    ReplyDelete