Thursday, March 25, 2010

I'm Seriously Thinking of Revamping my Skincare Routine

After reading a blog post or forum post (I really can't remember which), I started to think about revamping my skincare routine. The post basically says that using anti-acne products and medications such as benzoyl peroxide only makes your skin dependent on it. This would result to rebound breakouts if you stop using the products (which is actually true in my case).

When I was still consulting my dermatologist, I was very thankful for the products she prescribed. However, once I stop using or even taper using them, I get rebound breakouts. It seems that my skin is dependent on these products for survival. If my skin was a drug addict, anti-acne meds were its heroine (LOL! What an analogy!)

But then if I stop using them, I would again look like a witch. But the blog post said something like the skin will definitely look scary again before it gets better. If you don't depend on these pricey products, your skin will heal itself naturally (just like the way our antibodies fight against antigens inside our system)

Good Lord! I am so torn. If I heed the advise from that blog post, my skincare routine would only include a mild cleanser like Cetaphil (for cleansing in the morning and evening), a sunblock of at least SPF 50 in the morning and a moisturizer in the evening. I would have to let my pimples dry/die naturally which will take about 3-5 days (or even 7 days). As for the post-acne spots, I would just have to wait for weeks or months for them to lighten. Or I could just use a double purpose whitening moisturizer and sunblock to somehow help lighten the spots. Since I am getting older and I don't get as much pimples as I did before, I might actually consider trying this. People, wish me luck!

Here are some products I am planning to try:
1. Cleanser - Cetaphil
2. Sunblock - Nivea, Cetaphil, Acnes by Mentholatum

Not the same packaging as the ones sold here in the Philippines but has the same concept.
Price is around PHP350.
This one I think is a bit pricey (around PHP900+ according to MIMS).
My BF and his family will be going on a vacation in HK and I am planning to ask him to get this for me.
This sunblock got great reviews in sasa.com and is actually tinted.

3. Moisturizer - I will be sticking with my Olay Total Effects.

No comments:

Post a Comment