Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Finally..... it Rained!!!

The summer heat is really rubbing off on me. Actually, it isn't summer yet here in the Philippines (technically speaking). But the heat is just too much to handle!!! If that's the case, how hot in heaven's name will the real "summer heat" be? I just wish weather in Australia would be nicer on me.

I can still remember that fateful day, March 12, 2010. I was at home here in Angeles City. The skies were scary gray and ready to pour down rain. Alas, after a few moments, drops of rain were hitting the ground. The smell of rain hasn't been this good for so long. Haha! Was I happy? I was euphoric! It is something I really was thankful for.

When it's hot here in the Philippines, it is really H-O-T. And when the rainy season kicks in, oh boy, it will surely bring in a lot. I actually have this fear that once the heat is out, there would be tremendous amounts of rain pouring from the skies which may lead again to tragic calamities. Luckily, I didn't experience first-hand the devastation that the past storms brought to my country. But I do have friends and acquaintances that did. And it is not an easy ordeal. I am really praying hard that this won't be the case this time.

I wasn't able to take shots of the first rainfall in months here in Pampanga so I just searched for pictures of UST when it rains. You see, in my experience back in college, even an average rainfall would be enough to submerge the streets of Dapitan with dirty, black rainwater.

There was this one time when my college roommates and I were stranded in our dorm devoid of electricity and bathroom water and are quickly running out of food and drinking water. We literally lunged through knee high flood water just to buy some food in nearby convenience stores and carinderias.

This photo was taken from an overpass in Espana Blvd.
Students are crossing a make shift bridge to exit the university via one of the Espana gates
Photo credit: starfish0514 (pinoyexchange)

And also another time when my building (St. Martin de Porres Bldg. a.k.a. Medicine Building) had flood water up to knee level. Books and stuffs in our lockers were murdered! Haha! I know they are doing something about it, but for me, UST won't be UST without being flooded. (Again people, just my opinion).

"U" and "T" were drowned! (LOL)
Mind you, these are life-size stand alone letters by the way.
Photo credit: Ashley Cristal

UST Main Building and Football field submerged in rainwater
Photo credit: Ashley Cristal

No comments:

Post a Comment